Overpowering Your Home Power

Posted on: June 22, 2016

According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 50,000 home fires in the United States are caused by electrical failures or malfunctions each year. Overloaded home electrical circuits are a major cause of these residential fires.

 

According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) following are warning signs that you have overloaded electrical circuits in your home:

  • Flickering, blinking or dimming lights
  • Frequently tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses
  • Warm or discolored wall plates
  • Cracking, sizzling or buzzing sounds coming from receptacles
  • Burning order coming from receptacles or wall switches
  • Mild shock or tingle from appliances, receptacles, or switches

 

Any of these issues can become very dangerous in a hurry. Remember, the Tampa Bay area is famous for its spectacular lightning displays. If you experience any of these warning signs, we urge you to take the following steps to minimize your risk.

 

  • Appliances should always be plugged directly into an outlet (no extension cord.) Appliances should not share their outlets with anything else.
  • Overuse of extension cords throughout the home indicates a need for more outlets.

 

The electric repair experts at Midway Services will help you identify and eliminate any potential electrical problems before they become dangerous.

Share

Sign up to get interesting news and updates delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up Now