How to Survive Summer Power Outages
Posted on: May 12, 2015
It’s finally May, which means summer is in full swing here in Tampa Bay. Unfortunately, this also means that summer thunder storms are on their way, along with the power outages they so frequently cause. As a local electrical services company, we know how frustrating it can be to constantly be stuck in the dark. While many homeowners in the area have generators as a backup power system, many more do not. If you are one of the people that don’t have a backup power supply, here are some tips on getting through outages this summer:
1. Keep the fridge closed. This way, the food will stay as cold as possible, for as long as possible. By keeping the door closed, you prevent the cool air from escaping, delaying the time of food going bad. If it does start to warm up inside, be smart about what food you save or throw away- you don’t want to make anyone sick with spoiled meat!
2. Turn off your light switches. You don’t need everything to start up at once, so leaving just one switch flipped to the on position will tell you when power has been restored to your home.
3. Be careful with candles. If you choose to stay home and burn some candles for light, make sure they are always on a stable surface, away from any curtains or anything else flammable. And never leave a candle burning if you are not in the room!
4. Consider surge protection. When power is restored to your Tampa home, voltages can fluctuate before leveling out. Protect your appliances that are plugged in from these devastating surges with some kind of surge protector.
5. Talk to your local electrical services company about a generator. This backup system can either start automatically when it senses a loss of power, or it can have a manual start. Regardless of what you chose, your local electricians can help you set up the perfect system.
At Midway Services, we are the best electrical services company in the Tampa Bay area, and we can help you make summer power outages a thing of the past! Call us today to see how we can help you!