Most Common Electrical Services
Posted on: December 1, 2014
Having some basic understanding of how your St. Pete home’s wiring system works is the best way to know when you need to call an expert. As you become familiar with the most common electrical services you may need, you will be able to get in touch with a professional in time to avoid major problems and expenses.
St. Pete residents should be aware of these common issues:
1. Knob and Tube Wiring: This type of wiring is typically more common in older homes. While it might still work fine, it is likely to become damaged over time and will eventually need to be replaced. If you’ve seen ceramic knobs or tubes around your home, consider having a professional take a look and determine whether it requires immediate electrical services or not.
2. Exposed Wires: Ensuring your wires are correctly protected is the first step in keeping you and your home safe. Split ends in wires are a common cause of shocks and fires, so they are one of the first things we look for when we visit your St. Pete home.
3. Improper extension cord use: Take a look at any extension cords you have around your home to check for exposed wires to ensure they are nowhere near water and are not overheating. If you notice any of these signs, unplug the extension cord immediately to eliminate the risk of creating a fire.
4. Electrical Panels: This is where all incoming electrical lines connect. It is crucial to label your fuses correctly for easy access in case of emergency. Older panels need to be replaced in order to provide your home with a safer, more adapted panel. As your local electrical service provider, we are always happy to guide you in choosing the best panel for your situation.
5. Aluminum Wiring: This type of wiring was particularly common in the 1960s when copper prices were very high. However, we advise our clients to consider upgrading any wiring system built with aluminum, as safer options are now available.
If you’ve noticed any of these around you, get in touch with the Midway team to find out how we can help you make your St. Pete home safer for everyone, thanks to the various electric services we offer.
As the go-to electrical services provider in St. Pete, our technicians at Midway have seen it all. Bay Area residents call us whenever something seems wrong with their home’s wiring system, because they know our reliable experts can fix anything, and in a timely manner.