When it’s Time to Have Your AC Repaired
Posted on: February 11, 2014
St. Petersburg residents don’t need to be reminded of how crucial it is to know of a good AC service company. Especially in the summertime, Floridians can’t afford to suffer, as a result, of a faulty air conditioner. However, it is also not ideal to be constantly paying for HVAC repairs and services, either. It is understandable that most people try to avoid calling in a costly professional if they can. The good news here is that with a little bit of extra attention and proactivity, you can become an expert at knowing whether you should take on a task yourself or call in a technician.
What to Check First
In order to keep your home’s air conditioner in top shape, you should know about the simple yet necessary maintenance checks to perform on your own. In order to avoid calling an AC service company in for repairs, you should:
- Change the filter monthly, and keep it clean. It is surprising how many seemingly insurmountable AC issues were merely caused by a worn out or dirty filter.
- Keep an eye on your thermostat. Make sure the temperature it displays matches the one you feel in your house. This is one of those things that seems obvious, but can pass you by if you aren’t paying attention to it!
- If there is water dripping out of or pooling around your unit, it may mean your drainage tube is blocked. Check inside for ice, dirt, and other debris.
Some Telltale Signs
The key to having a healthy air conditioner and a cool St. Petersburg home is being able to know when it’s best to call an AC service company. Some of the warnings you should keep an eye out for include:
- Air isn’t as cold: Even when it is turned up all the way, if you find that your AC is still not getting cold, you may need to call for a professional to take a look at your unit.
- Poor or weak airflow: This is a key sign that you need a repair, as it signals that there is a problem with the compressor. If the airflow is only weak in one part of the house, there is most likely an obstruction in the duct.
- Presence of water: Whenever water is somewhere it isn’t, there is usually an issue. If it is in or around your air conditioner, the condensation drainage tube could be clogged or even broken. If there is a layer of ice, call for a Clearwater AC repair company immediately, since this can signal even bigger problems.
- Unusual sounds: This is perhaps the easiest warning sign to notice, since new sounds can be very annoying. If you hear any squeaking, squealing, or grinding noises call a trusted company like Midway, because if this is not fixed soon, it can lead to the entire unit having to be replaced.
These inconveniences are a nightmare to experience during the sweltering St. Petersburg summers. Avoid a constant need for costly repairs by taking care of these issues early; call an AC service company as soon as you spot the signs. Midway Services offers a wide array of different air conditioning repairs and services, so give us a call today at 727-565-0448.